Monday, February 13, 2012

{ Simple Valentines Day Decorations }

People give you lots of advice when you are pregnant: the best food to feed your baby, sleep advice, labor advice, etc. but there are many parts of mothering that you discover when you are on the journey.
One of those things I discovered was how part of being a mother is creating a sacred and special place called a home. This involves decorating, organizing, cleaning, etc. to make a space that is unique to your family and a place that holds meaning for everyone.
I remember watching Dr. Phil's wife many years ago speak about celebrating holidays in her home and how her children loved the traditions of doing this. She wasn't just speaking about decorating for Christmas but about other special days and seasons like St. Patrick's day or a child's birthday. After hearing her speak, I decided I wanted a home like that. One that celebrated throughout the year.

Which brings me to Valentines Day. February is an "especially special" day for our family because my husband and I celebrate our anniversary this month. So its kind of like a month of love for our family. I realized that my children love the decorating and making our home special and so each year I try to find simple and inexpensive ways to make the home festive.
Here are some if the touches I have done to make our home extra special in February.


I bought a package of heart-shaped doilies from The Christmas Tree Shop for $1.00 for 32 and hung them as garlands around the house. Love these and they are so simple! 


 
Another doily garland in the living room area.
I also used a framed chalk board to spell out LOVE.




I decorated another spot with a framed printable I found here

 Can you tell I love Chalkboards? This is another of many in my house- perfect for writing quotes and messages on.


I tied cute little heart shaped bags to the back of the kids chairs. They are for them to place little love messages to each other in.



 And lastly, a project I made this week that is so simple. The frame is from Kohls and cost about $8.00 on sale. Perfect for this project I found on Pinterest a while back and loved. I plan on making a JOY and PEACE one for our house as well. This makes a great gift for Grandparents.  You simply print out the letters L O V E and take pictures of your children holding them. For the baby, I taped hers to a book so it would be easy for her to "hold" it. Print them out and place in the frame. Easy Peasy!





No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...