Tuesday, January 24, 2012

{ this little light of mine }

Remember my post about my Shades of Grey bedroom redo? Well, I promised to explain where the lamps came from.


Here it is. While exploring one of my favorite blogs one day, I found this lamp redo and fell in love. (320 Sycamore is one of my favorite blogs that I follow. I have found so many great ideas. Check it out when you have a chance.)

Basically, all you need for a great lamp or set of lamps is a lamp with great shape or form. Thrift stores and garage sales are full of brass lamps that are a bit dated. But all it takes is a can or 2 of spray paint and those dated lamps have a new modern look. I have seen lamps like these at stores like Home Goods for $50 and up. 

My lamps before look looked very similar to the lamp below. I purchased my set from Craigslist for $20 for the pair and the spray paint was $2 a can. I used primer first and than a gray shade for the base. The lamp shades I got for $2 each from a garage sale. Total cost- $14 a lamp. And I love them.



And here is the finished product.


Little Tip- When you go to a garage sale, thrift store, or regular store, keep your eyes open for items that have great form. Even if they are a color you don't like or are a metal like brass, they can be spraypainted to give you a custom look. You can spraypaint metal, plastic, wood, glass, and other surfaces.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...